A marijuana hydroponic system is the simplest way to get started growing weed hydroponically. These systems are an easy and convenient all-in-one solution that take a lot of the hassle out of growing marijuana indoors.
Marijuana hydroponic systems range from small and simple, to large and sophisticated. There is a hydroponic system to suit most budgets and needs. Whether you are setting up a huge, high-end marijuana grow with a view to going commercial, or only want to cultivate a few marijuana plants, you should find a suitable marijuana hydroponic system.
Marijuana hydroponic systems are a perfect solution for novice and experienced growers alike.
What is a marijuana hydroponic system?
As the name suggests, a marijuana hydroponic system is a growing system that uses water (as opposed to soil), to deliver the necessary nutrients to the cannabis plants.
The hydroponic system automatically feeds and waters the marijuana plants, saving you a lot of time and effort.
Most hydroponic systems for weed include everything you need to set up your marijuana grow quickly.
Benefits of a marijuana hydroponic system
The main advantage of a marijuana hydroponic system is the ability to better control and calibrate the marijuana grow environment and process. The tighter your control, the better the yields you can expect.
A marijuana hydroponic system also provides the following additional benefits:
- Clean growing environment: The absence of soil means things are naturally much cleaner – there is no messy, muddy soil to deal with.
- Increased growth rate: With marijuana hydroponic growing, plants develop at an increased rate.
- Better plant health: Incidents of dry spots and accidental root drowning are eliminated when you grow your weed hydroponically.
- Reduced costs: Weed hydroponic systems use less water than soil-based systems; this lowers your costs.
- Environment friendly: A marijuana hydroponic system is environmentally friendly, as the water is recyclable and reusable.
- More nutrients: Hydroponics gives you the ability to finely control nutrition quantities, resulting in a stronger formula at a reduced cost.
- Less labor intensive: There is no tedious re-potting when you grow your weed hydroponically.
- Eliminate pests: You discover and eliminate pest infestations or disease almost immediately with a marijuana hydroponic system.
- Discrete: Hydroponics are perfect for discreet marijuana grows because they typically do not require a lot of space.
- Easy: A marijuana hydroponic system is easy to set up and simple to use.
Best marijuana hydroponic system
Below are summaries of what we consider to be the best marijuana hydroponic systems on the market today. We have listed the best overall marijuana hydroponic system first. After this we provide our picks by hydroponic system type.
1 Best budget marijuana hydroponic system – General Hydroponics WaterFarm Complete
General Hydroponics GH4120 WaterFarm Complete by Hydrofarm gets our vote as the best budget marijuana hydroponic system. This system is suitable for growing one weed plant.
This is a quality marijuana hydroponic system that is ideally priced for the first-time marijuana hydroponics grower.
Each kit includes a grow pot, watering system, nutrients and growing medium. More specifically:
- Hydroton clay pebbles.
- Flora Series nutrients
- 4 gal reservoir
- 2 gal growing chamber
- Elite 800 air pump
- Drip ring assembly
- DLT clip
- Air line (clear tubing)
- Pumping column and support tube
- Drain-level tube
The WaterFarm Complete is sturdy and strong: it’s built from high impact plastic to ensure durability.
The square design ensures there is no wasted space in your marijuana grow area. You can pack modules closely together and grow the maximum of number of plants for your floor area.
This budget marijuana hydroponic system is suitable for small, medium and large plants. It is perfect to grow a single marijuana plant.
The WaterFarm Complete has a large water capacity, but low water requirements
The General Hydroponics GH4120 WaterFarm Complete is the perfect marijuana hydroponics system for the novice weed grower on a budget. It is priced at $55.75 on Amazon.
- “Amazing how quickly things grow.”
- “Amazing how quickly things grow. Amazing, amazing, amazing.”
2 Best multi-plant marijuana hydroponics system – HTG Supply Bubble Brothers DWC hydroponic system
The HTG Supply Bubble Brothers 6-Site DWC hydroponic system is our pick for best multi-plant hydroponic system.
This 6 bucket DWC hydroponic system delivers above average results for growing marijuana plants! It is one of the easiest self-contained marijuana hydroponic systems to operate and is economical to maintain. You can expect faster growth, bigger yields, and better flavors with this hydroponic system.
Aeration is the key to DWC’s performance: the system includes a large 950 gallon per hour (GPH) commercial pump and high quality 2″ air stones. These components provide increased oxygenation and diffusion that allow your marijuana plants to flourish.
This marijuana hydroponic system also features RhizoCore bucket lids that have a super-aerated center channel. This ensures perfect oxygen and solution flow to the core root zone for healthy root production!
- 6 space-saving 3.5-gallon low-profile buckets
- 6 6″ net-pot lids
- 950-gph high-power commercial air pump with 6-way divider
- 6 larger 2″ premium air stones
- 50′ roll 1/4″ air tubing
- 10-liter bag of high-quality clay pebble grow medium
- Electrical air pump: 41 watts, .42 amps @ 120v.
The HTG Supply Bubble Brothers 6-Site DWC hydroponic system is well worth the price of $109.99 on Amazon.
Amazon users give it a 4.2 (out of 5) stars rating.
Here’s what a few happy customers who gave it a 5 star rating had to say
- “Really nice product, packed well and it included the grow stone media, which I didn’t expect.”
- “I love this system it is the first one I have used and my babies love them to and I will get another one soon . My plants in four weeks are amazing.”
- “This thing is a bargain at twice the price.”
3 Best dual-medium marijuana hydroponic system – AutoPot 4 pot gravity-fed watering system
The AutoPot 4 pot gravity-fed watering system gets our vote for the best dual-medium marijuana hydroponic system.
This is a gravity fed watering system that is easy to install and perfect for the first-time grower. Because it is gravity-driven, it requires virtually no maintenance, and no power, pumps or timers. The system is extremely versatile, and suitable for novice and experienced marijuana growers alike.
One of the many advantages of this marijuana hydroponic system is that it is extensible. You can add as many pots as you like to a single reservoir.
This is “lazy” growing at its best: no daily watering and only minimal monitoring is required after you have set up the system. Simply fill the reservoir with water and suitable marijuana nutrients and let the hydroponic system take care of your weed plants.
This hydroponic marijuana system comprises one 12 gallon reservoir and 4 growing pots. It is an ideal complete starter kit for the beginner.
4-pot system has a gravity feeding mechanism that supports the capillary actions of the plant roots.
The fact that no electrical equipment is required makes this one of the most energy saving and environment friendly marijuana hydroponic systems on the market.
The system includes:
- 12 gallon reservoir, lid and 1/4″ top hat grommet
- 4 tees
- 2 cross connectors
- 2 inline taps
- 4 pot trays and lids
- 4 4 gallon pots
- 4 AQUA valves
- 4 root control discs
- 13′ length 1/4″ pipe
- Full instructions
The AutoPot 4 pot gravity-fed watering system can be used to grow marijuana indoors and outdoors. It is suitable for both hydroponic marijuana growing and soil marijuana growing.
This hydroponic marijuana system is reasonably priced at $219.99 on Amazon.
Users on Amazon only give the AutpPot system a rating of 3.8 (out of 5). The proponents are very positive. Here’s what a few users who rate it 5 out of 5 had to say:
- “I have been using AutoPots for 10 years. I think they are the easiest thing to grow in.”
- “Product is much better than I expected. I would recommend this to a friend.”
- “Excellent product! Can’t beat the price!!!!totally recommended!”
Tips when using a marijuana hydroponic system
While a hydroponic marijuana system may be more complex to operate than a soil grow, the acceleration in plant growth makes the effort well worth it. If you want to grow giant healthy marijuana plants quickly, a marijuana hydroponics system is the answer.
Monitoring is vital when using a hydroponic system
Always keep in mind that your marijuana plant roots are in direct contact with nutrient solutions when you use a hydroponic marijuana system. This means that only a small change in PH or nutrient concentration, can have a large impact.
There are many monitoring products available to assist monitoring your marijuana grow:
Growing tips to ensure the health of your marijuana plants
- Water flow is key and it is important to deal with leaks and clogs as soon as possible to ensure that your plants flourish.
- Be on the lookout for nutrient burn. The first sign of this is when the tips of your marijuana leaves start turning yellow or brown. It is an indication of too many nutrients. Cut your nutrients in half for a week or two, and then go back to full strength gradually.
- Nutrient burn can also be caused by PH imbalance. Always check this first. Not all strains of marijuana require the same nutrient balance – some strains require more, and some less.
- Resist the urge to harvest your plants before they are completely ready. Your first harvest is exciting, don’t let your eagerness spoil it.